Thursday, November 22, 2012

Wines For Which I’m Thankful

  
There’s a plethora of good wines in this world.  Some stand-out for their quality-price ratio, others win over your heart because of the circumstances in which they were consumed.  Yet, more float to the top of our lists because they just plain knocked-our-socks off.  Here is my “Top 3” list for this Thanksgiving…culled from all of the above factors during my recent trips to Bordeaux and Piedmont, Italy.

Prinsi Gaia Principe Barbaresco 2007:  I’ve visited thousands of wineries around the globe.  One of the warmest welcomes I’ve ever received was a month ago when I took the Wine-Knows group visiting Piedmont to Prinsi.  To say that this charming family rolled out the red carpet is an understatement.   Likewise, to disclose that their Barbaresco was sublime is no exaggeration.  Best news of all is its modest cost for a Barbaresco of $48…I know of no other Barbaresco for this price that even comes close.  Contact FineWineImporters.com for the location nearest you.
  
Les Arums de Lagrange 2011:  OK, I admit it.  I have had a long-standing love affair with Chateau Lagrange…the people, the chateau and their wines.  I recently took a group to Chateau Lagrange in Bordeaux for a private dinner and Lagrange’s white wine, Les Arums, really pulled at the strings of my heart.  (Considering I typically prefer red wine, it’s fairly compelling that a white took center stage.)  The fact that this lucious white was perfectly paired with a with a pumpkin and chestnut soup didn't hurt.  Now for the good news.  It’s just become available in the US.  As the chateau’s production of this Sauvignon Blanc-Semillon blend is miniscule, you’ll need to see it out on WineSearcher.com.  It’s a steal at about just over 20 bucks a bottle.

Paolo Scavino Barolo Rocche Dell’Annunziata Riserva 2007:  I’ve tried 3 or 4 times to get an appointment with this super-star Italian producer, but I’ve always been told, “Sorry, Signora, but it’s the middle of the harvest and we don’t accept visitors!”  As I’m always in Piedmont at the time of the harvest (because it’s also the time of the area’s ethereal edible----the white truffle), I’ve simply remained a loyal fan.  This year the winery finally said “OK, Signora…you can come with your group.”   (I think they did so just to get rid of me!).  But, after having tasted these wines at their birthplace, I now know that was not the case as their hospitality was genuine beyond words.  Moreover, every single one of these wines was stunning.  For a holiday splurge, however, my vote goes to their Barolo Rocche Dell’Annunziata Riserva.  ($95 @ http://www.grapeswine.com/product-p/1576188.htm). 

1 comment: